Make your miles matter – June 10-16, 2019 turn your miles into music! Any miles donation made this week will be matched by Aeroplan up to 500,000 points. Aeroplan Miles help MusiCounts reach schools and communities across Canada, allow us to create meaningful experiences for MusiCounts Scholarship recipients and the Teacher of the Year, and to raise funds via silent auctions. Specifically, MusiCounts uses Aeroplan Miles in several ways:
- We use miles to connect with music educators across the country
- We use miles to fundraise at events such as silent auctions, so that MusiCounts can put more instruments into the hands of kids who need them most.
- MusiCounts is fortunate to work with many amazing artists and musicians, and we use our miles to create opportunities for artists to collaborate with community and school music programs in need.
- Each year MusiCounts Scholarships are awarded to high-potential music students from across Canada and the recipients are flown to Toronto with Aeroplan miles for a week-long mentoring and networking experience. This experience helps launch the careers of the next generation of music industry leaders, artists and producers.
- Each year MusiCounts rewards one exceptional music teacher with a trip to the JUNO Awards where they are recognized for their lasting impact on students and the music education community.
- We visit schools and communities across Canada and surprise in-need music programs with up to $25,000 dollars worth of instruments.
Your donations of Aeroplan Miles to MusiCounts will continue to create possibilities for youth through music, thank you.
MusiCounts, Canada's music education charity associated with CARAS and the JUNO Awards, is keeping music alive across Canada by putting musical instruments into the hands of children that need them most. MusiCounts' mission is to ensure that children and youth in Canada have access to music programs through their schools and communities. MusiCounts celebrates musical excellence and achieves its mission through various programs and music education initiatives. Since 1997 MusiCounts has awarded over $12,000,000 in support of music education in Canada.
Music education adds possibilities for youth. It increases language proficiency, self-confidence and focus, bridges cultural gaps and promotes collaboration. Music has the ability to change lives, bring people together and influences youth far beyond the classroom walls.
Unfortunately, access to music education is threatened across Canada due to a lack of funding, fewer trained teachers and inadequate resources. In 2018, MusiCounts saw a staggering 59% increase in applications from schools who need our assistance to keep music class alive.
MusiCounts is a vocal champion for music education, and we’re committed to improving access to music for children in urban, rural, remote and northern communities across Canada. In 2018, we were proud to support over 12,000 youth through our instrument grants and scholarships. We will continue to work to advocate, fill the resource gaps and support schools and communities until all children have access to music education.